Monday, August 3, 2015

R75 update

So, a year and a half later, I am posting updates on the R75. I reworked a lot of the electrical. I put a new ignition in, like I mentioned. The washer that I welded into the bucket worked well with the Rocky Point parts. I installed new handlebar switches and grips. I put bar-end rear-view mirrors because the threads for the original mirrors were pretty jacked up. These bar-end mirrors were super cheap on Amazon. I don't have much faith in them lasting long. Some reviews said the mirrors pop out while riding. So, the first thing after mounting that I did was to put a silicone bead around the edges. If you don't know, denatured alcohol will clean up the extra silicone. I wipe an alcohol-wetted paper towel around the bead to smooth out the bead. I did the same thing on the speedo.


I did some minor body work after sanding. I didn't take photos, unfortunately. I am clearly not good at body work. I painted the bike black and pinstriped it myself. I am also not good at painting and pinstriping. For a moment, I thought about sanding the bike down and starting over. Instead I did a lot of fine sanding to get rid of orange peel. I figured the pinstripes wouldn't be great. So, why worry so much about the paint. Everything turned out ok. It's a 20 foot paint job, as my uncle says.

Finally, the key fix. I pried the nail key out of the plastic piece that holds it. I marked a spare key using the nail portion and a Sharpie marker. Then, I ground the spare key on a grinding wheel until it fit in the plastic piece. I had to grind the faces to narrow the width of the key too. I used marine, two-part epoxy to fill the plastic where the key sticks into it. Everything seems to work well so far. I've put about 100 miles on it this summer after getting it all complete. I'm hoping to go for a ride this week. I still need to change the oil and gear oil in it after it sat for so long, and why waste a fresh oil change?

Wednesday, April 29, 2015

Tuesday, April 28, 2015

Bikeswipe


A colleague and I worked with some students in 2008 to develop a community bicycle checkout system for our campus. We got it working. Then, we started to port it over to Arduino control. The students had graduated, and we just lost steam. I have the code and hardware list. I'm putting some files here in case there may be some interest in someone picking this up. I have a ton more that I would have to sort through to make sense of, but let me know in the comments if you want any of the bits and pieces.

bikeswipe files

Design Plans for an Inexpensive Tail Flick Analgesia Meter


The freely available paper published in the Journal of Undergraduate Neuroscience Education in 2011.

Some tutorial videos

Some useful files including Arduino code, a Python GUI to interface with the Arduino, a LabVIEW GUI to interface with the Arduino (alternative to python), schematics, etc. Feel free to leave a comment if you have questions.

Molecular mechanics and dynamics characterization of an in silico mutated protein: A stand-alone lab module or support activity for in vivo and in vitro analyses of targeted proteins


The publication in Biochemistry and Molecular Biology Education in 2013.

Some tutorial videos

Some useful files